ease the strain of pregnancy and childbirth
Osteopathy during pregnancy can yield great results from just a little treatment. Expectant mothers have new and unusual pressures on their bodies, with the combination of increased weight, changed carriage and fluid retention placing extra stress on the spine. But back pain should never be a feature of pregnancy. Gentle treatment to help rebalance the spine and pelvis will not only reduce discomfort while carrying the baby, but may also actually make the delivery easier. Our approach can also prove helpful post-natally, helping the woman’s body readjust a little faster and, importantly, assisting the newborn to overcome any imbalances that may have occurred during the trauma of birth.
Is it safe to receive Osteopathic Treatment during Pregnancy?
Osteopathic treatment is a very safe and effective way of relieving the stresses and pains of pregnancy. Current advice is to minimise pain and anti-inflammatory medications during this important stage of life – Osteopathic treatment is a great alternative in this regard. Osteopaths mainly work with the soft tissues of the body – gently treating the muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints to relieve tension, restore balance, improve functioning and decrease pain. Treatment is specifically tailored to the individual and can occur at any stage of pregnancy – we treat women from the first trimester right through to being ready for birth. We even have a special ‘belly-pillow’ with a cut-out for tummies that allow our pregnant women to lie face-down on the treatment table!
The studies below indicate both the effectiveness of treatment and the safety in receiving it.
- Licciardone JC, Buchanan S, Hensel KL, King HH, Fulda KG, Stoll ST. Osteopathic manipulative treatment of back pain and related symptoms during pregnancy: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010;202:43.e1-43.e8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2009.07.057
- Van Benten E, Pool J, Mens J, Pool-Goudzwaard A, Recommendations for Physical Therapists on the Treatment of Lumbopelvic Pain During Pregnancy: A Systematic Review. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy https://www.jospt.org/doi/pdf/10.2519/jospt.2014.5098
- Stuber KJ, Wynd S, Weis CA. Adverse events from spinal manipulation in the pregnant and postpartum periods: a critical review of the literature. Chiropr Man Therap. 2012;20:8. doi: 10.1186/2045-709X-20-8.
What conditions and problems can Osteopaths treat before and after pregnancy?
We regularly treat the issues that commonly pop up in pregnancy…
- Lower back pain, hip & pelvic pain and sciatic pain
- Neck & shoulder pain
- Carpel tunnel syndrome, leg cramps and fluid retention
- Pelvic instability
- Headaches and sinus congestion
Treatment is great at assisting the body to accommodate the rapid changes that are occurring – changes in weight bearing, posture, and the baby’s position to name a few. It not only provides relief but may assist in balancing the body to get it ready for the best birth possible. This can hopefully lead to less complications during labour – if you are more comfortable, in less pain and in good alignment.
Post birth, treatment can be really beneficial to relieve any strains that have occurred from labour, and help relieve postural tensions that build up from carrying and feeding your new-born bundle of joy!
Which Osteopaths at NCO treat pregnant women?
All the Osteopaths here at NCO will happily manage women right the way through pregnancy. A couple of us have a special interest in treating women in this fascinating stage of life…
NB. Results may vary from person to person.