How to reverse the tightness that builds up from sitting – in one fell swoop! This stretch opens the chest on one side, whilst simultaneously opening the front of the opposite hip. Gentle lumbar and thoracic spine extension is also achieved. Whole-body contact with the ground provides feedback for our nervous system in a different and beneficial way compared to sitting or standing. Enjoy!
Start by lying face down on the floor.
- Place your left hand on the floor, just above your head – arm at a right angle to your body. Turn you head away from this arm.
- Place your right hand on the floor next to your chest – elbow in the air.
- Gently push with this right hand, lifting your right chest off the floor.
- Now lift your right leg and twist it back over the other leg – so that your right foot can approach touching the floor behind you.
- You should feel a stretch through your left chest and the front of your right hip, whilst getting some gentle backward bending for your spine.
- Slowly breathe into this whole body stretch for a count of 6 breaths.
- Repeat the sequence for the opposite side.